Tuesday, October 07, 2008

JANELLE MONAE, Metropolis: The Chase Suite - I Don't Get It


So this sweet young thing was just on the cover of Paste Magazine as an 'artist to watch', so I thought I'd give it a shot buuuut, in a year of Estelle, Santo Gold, MIA, Erykah Badu, and dare I say Duffy, this poor little record has no nuts. Although I may agree with some of the lyricism the arrangements, music and production are just kind of blah. I'll also use this as a tangent opportunity to gripe about the proliferation of the EP. I mean really, can you give me a break? Can you just hold on another month or two and just make a really good album. I know that all the new glorious marketers think it's a really awesome way to keep your attention but, trust me, we get that it's just a ploy to separate us from our money. That doesn't really have anything to do with this record other than it's a junk 'special edition' 'EP'. whatever that means. I'm not judging the quality of the record on this criteria, it's just a crap tangent.

No comments: